Thursday, July 9, 2015

Sound on The Alibi



Long takes are always something that I like to see in films.  So I was pretty stoked when Enlow contacted me about a short he was directing that he wanted to try to do in one take.

It took an evening of practicing choreography with actor Roy Wood Jr. and camera op Bobby Lam to squeeze ourselves through the tight spaces in a small 2 bedroom in Los Angeles.

In addition to the boom choreography, I also had to wire Nick Rutherford who is actually standing outside the house corresponding live over the phone in order to keep the timing correct.  The clean lav audio was then used to replace the poor phone speaker audio in post.

Interesting fact, I re-recorded all the phone audio that I got from Nick's lav through a iPhone speaker in different rooms of my house to get the acoustics correct.  If you listen carefully you can actually hear the different quality iPhone audio as Roy travels from room to room.  None of the iPhone audio you hear in the finished film is from production.

The project was so much fun to do from top to bottom and I couldn't be happier with the finished product.



No comments: