Monday, March 23, 2015

Big Sur - Point Lobos



Here's the second video of the Big Sur series.  I'll try not to repeat too much of the tech stuff, so if you have questions feel free to ask in the comments or check out the first video.

This was also shot with the log settings at the base 3200 ISO and then color timed in DaVinci Resolve.  The first half is shot in the forest leading up the the coast line and is where I first became really curious about the 4K output.  This was shot in 1080p and the detail in the trees and such is pretty muddy.  The video is shot at the AVC-S 50mb 42p setting so there's not a lot of noise and theres plenty of color and contrast info to play with in post.  I didn't really notice any added noise from the color timing.  Also, in contrast to the first video, I didn't add any noise in post since I don't really like the quality of the effect in FCP.  I'd like to try adding grain with a more professional plugin or using After Effects.  So this video will give you a good idea of what the natural grain of the A7S looks like, though the compression on Vimeo makes that sort of difficult.

I tried to push the colors a lot in the forest section specifically.  It's worth noting that I realized at the end of the day that I had the white balance incorrect for the whole shoot (it was on the fluorescent setting I believe) D'oh!

Despite the white balance issue, I was able to pull the colors back and the push them to a warm yellow green quality.  The coast line stuff has a more natural color to it and is more focused on getting the contrast correct.  As you can see, the camera doesn't have much trouble exposing for a bright sky and dark rocks and foliage.  When shooting, I usually exposed for the brightest thing in the frame, usually the sky.  So I spent most of the time in post bringing the exposure down which yields rich color and contrast.


No comments: