Wednesday, May 2, 2012

PILOT SCRIPT -- DAY 3

I hate dialogue.

Today has not been as good a writing day as yesterday and I'm trying to figure out why.  I think dialogue is the culprit.  I hate it.  I'm so picky about my dialogue as it is.  There's a lot of exposition and themes that I want to get through to the audience, but I hate doing it with dialogue.  I teacher told me long ago: show don't tell.  Why have a character say "I love cats" when you could put a cat in front of her and have her squeal with delight.  My dialogue is completely without character right now.  Anybody could be saying these lines.

Yesterday I wrote a lot of action and playing with gadgets, which was awesome.  Today I have to have characters have conversations, and it sucks.  I think it sucks the most because it's telling me that I have filmsy characters, so I have no idea what they would say or how they would say it.  So, rather than dig myself further into this shit hole, i'm going to take a break from the script to focus on the character's histories and what makes them unique.

Hopefully I'll come up with something by tomorrow, because I'm starting to fall behind here, and I can almost hear the sound of Andy, Sam and Chris sharpening knives.  Or sharpening beards.  I think that's more terrifying: sharpened beards.

No comments: